INFRAFRONTIER Preparatory Phase project
The INFRAFRONTIER project was one of six research infrastructure projects for biomedical research that was included in the first ESFRI Roadmap in 2006, which lists pan-European initiatives recommended for implementation. As a result, INFRAFRONTIER received European Commission funding for the INFRAFRONTIER Preparatory Phase Project (2008 - 2012).
During its Preparatory Phase, INFRAFRONTIER aimed at resolving the major issues required for implementing a sustainable INFRAFRONTIER Research Infrastructure for systemic phenotyping, archiving and distribution of mouse models of human diseases:
- Capacity building to meet the increasing demand of the biomedical research community for systemic phenotyping, archiving and distribution of mouse models of human diseases.
- Developing a business plan based on a sustainable funding concept.
- Identification of the most suitable legal form.
- Providing a strategic plan for the implementation phase.
- Reaching a legal agreement between all partners.
To move the process forward, an Inter-Ministry Working Group with participation from eight Member States was formed in 2010. This group finalised the key documents the Memorandum of Understanding, the Business Plan and the Legal Statutes, preparing INFRAFRONTIER for the implementation phase (2013 - onwards). The INFRAFRONTIER GmbH was established in Germany on 11 April 2013.